Saturday, October 22, 2005

Support the Troops

Here's some quality satire from Bob Odenkirk, who actually ate a yellow ribbon to support the troops.

Excerpt:

When this thing began, I was a yellow-bellied liberal. As Karl Rove pointed out, my initial suggestion immediately after 9-11 was to send therapists to the Middle East. I wanted to try to “understand” the people who committed this horrifying deed. I wanted to hold their hands, pat them on the back, and send them “we’re sorry” cards and shipments of “Peeps” Easter candies in a “we heart you” basket. In fact, I was the one who suggested we get Dr. Phil on Al jazeera, daily. I wanted to send a delegation of children over there to make a giant clay sculpture entitled “Peace Lump”. I wanted to start a dialogue, whatever that is. I remember thinking, wrongly, “Well, this is a part of the world which we have used and used and where we have neglected to engage with it’s people in a serious manner and the wave of anger and resentment they have for us must run deep and strong. Probably we will have a long slog of engagement and adjustment and entrenchment ahead of us over there to win them over.” How stupid of me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home